image1 image2 image3

HELLO I'M ERIC CORPUZ|WELCOME TO MY PERSONAL BLOG|LIVE YOUR DREAM|SHARE YOUR PASSION

Roots before branches.

It was one of those weeks that felt like it was never going to end. Tuesday felt like it should have been Friday and when Friday finally came, it didn't last long enough. I find it completely comical that life drags when you want it to the least but seems to take off in the moments that you wish would never end.

There was actually a lot that happened this week! Monday I was able to make dinner and catch up with Erika which was great. Erika and I have been trying to get together for weeks now, but our busy schedules just never seemed to line up. It was nice to take a breather for that night and just enjoy each other's company in the middle of midterms. 

Tuesday I had my first midterm which went pretty okay, and Emily was a sweetheart enough to make me dinner that night which was really nice. Emily has done a great job as a leader in BYUSA and has done her best to take care of me. I really don't know where I would be if I didn't join BYUSA this semester. I wouldn't have friends, thats for sure, and I probably wouldn't have a life either!

These are pictures from my committee meeting on Wednesday. Our events are coming up pretty quick, so things are starting to raise high in the committee. Regardless,I feel that as things get more heavy, we bind closer together. They have been some of my best friends this semester and I love them to death.

The Blender Babes and Babe-ettes!

This was supposed to be our ugly face picture haha.





Wednesday was also Erika's birthday and I was lucky enough to get invited by one of her friends to her surprise birthday to watch the debate. I thought Mitt Romney did extremely well and I was very proud with the outcome. I didn't get to stay for long, but I felt pretty lucky to be able to celebrate with Erika and her sister's friends. It's pretty rare that I get invited to much of anything anymore so any social activity is a blessing in my life.



That night I also got to be a part of the Beijing Dance Academy event that took place on campus that night. The Beijing Dance Academy came (coincidentally) from Beijing and danced with BYU's Philharmonic Orchestra. They were unbelievable. Afterwards, I got to be a part of the small after-party shindig where BYU's premiere  jazz ensemble, Synthesis, performed with one of BYU's premiere dance groups, BYU Contemporary Dance Theatre, for the Beijing Dance Academy. I was extremely impressed by the number they did to the jazz standard Sing, Sing, Sing (which you probably know as the Chip's Ahoy! song) and even got to meet some of members. One in particular has become a very good friend of mine just from that night!

Click here to read more about it.


Thursday I studied my brains out and the new world wonder (aka Psy's Gangnam Style) stormed even into my business class.

Travis studying under Abe's desk in the office.

Emily joining him haha.

And then Friday finally came and I spent the night on a date with my new, amazing dancer-friend who makes me smile too much. The date was a fail for the most part haha. I had planned to take us up to the canyon and ride the ski lifts but that apparently only happens every full moon. It was also way to cold outside to go star gazing, but fortunately, everything somehow turned out well... somehow haha.

This rest of the weekend was spent soaking up conference. I was really happy to be able to actually get to spend time with more friends from BYUSA this morning for conference. Emily made as all killer cinnamon-roll-waffles along with suicide syrup. They were decadent to say the least. It was also really nice to see everyone outside of their BYUSA game faces, even if I didn't really feel like I fit in spending time with them this morning. It was a great experience though and nice to actually be able to see people this weekend.


Emily's cinnawaffles!





The suicide syrup.



And now the lessons behind the madness.

This whole semester I've been asked a possible 23740592834750293845723049587 times what I'm majoring in and what I plan to do with my life, and although I kind of already know what I want to do, it's been up in the air--for the most part--and has been quite embarrassing to look at people and tell them that I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life.

I grew up with the idea that I was going to become a doctor but coming back from my mission gave me a lot of perspective. I saw my brother doing what he loved and succeeding as well as many others. I became tired of watching everyone else's dreams come true except mine. 

Who was I kidding? I hated all of my science classes freshman year. How on earth am I supposed to become a doctor if I don't like science?

So what?
Coming back to BYU has been back to the drawing board for me. I've spent the last month or so just searching. Figuring out what is good for me. Finding out what I love. Talking to people. Getting opinions. Getting ideas. Figuring out life. And finally, after about a month of searching, I feel happy and pretty settled with the direction I'm going in.

Now what?
The problem with most dreamers is that that is all they do. They dream and they wish and nothing ever happens.

A song that has really impressed my life this week talks about how you have to have roots before you have branches. You have to know where you stand and who you are to know who you want to be. It didn't take me long to realize that I do know who I am and I do know who I want to be. I have an amazing foundation of talents with a work ethic that my parents have given me and there's not much more I need to do now but run.

This may come as a shock to a lot of people but I'm forgetting about what anyone has told me and I'm going to start chasing my dreams like I should have done years ago.

I realized on the mission how much I love to sing and how much I've always loved to sing. So I'm going to sing. I've let go of the idea that it's too late to start and that I won't get anywhere singing and I'm going to just practice hard and see where it takes me. I love singing so much and I can't see myself in the future not singing. I'm proud to announce that I will be minoring in music, not on clarinet, but in contemporary vocal performance.

And this past week, I've realized how much I've always wanted to dance and how I have loved dancing my whole life. I love dancing because you can express yourself without words in a way that anyone can understand. I'm forgetting about all the people who told me that dancing was a girl thing to do and I'm going to dance. I'm going to work, I'm going to practice hard, and I'm going to see where it takes me. I'm proud to announce that I will be taking the prerequisite for the contemporary dance minor this winter and applying for the contemporary dance minor the following semester.

And now the big one.

I realize that sometimes somethings just aren't meant to be and you always have to have a backup plan, not to plan on falling back on, but to prepare for what life has to bring you. So after talking to professors, advisement counselors, alumni, and students in various programs, I've decided that I will on top of everything else, be applying for the accounting program at the Marriott School of Business. The accounting program here at BYU is known for being among the top in the states so you know what that means--it's not going to be easy. It's going to be hard. Really hard. But I'm going to take my time and make it through because nothing of extreme difficulty has stopped me in the past and it's not going to stop me now.

I told my family last night and it feels good to have direction in my life now. I haven't completely canned medical school if you were wondering. There's a possibility that I won't enjoy accounting and the beauty is, is my education doesn't end at the end of my stay here at BYU. I will still have the option of going to medical school or any other graduate school after that. My life won't end right after I graduate here from BYU.

I'm excited for the next years that are to come here and I'm ready to work. I'm planning on big things and won't settle for less. I'll be auditioning for groups, running for positions, and putting myself out there for the world to see. It's not going to be easy but nothing that is easy is ever worth it anyway.
Now I'm just ready to keep going. I know where I stand now. It will just take a little faith to take chances and risks and I know that somehow, someway, as long as I'm actively pursuing, things will work out and I'll be where I need to be. So to life and all the struggles ahead, look out--because I'm not stopping anytime soon.






Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment