image1 image2 image3

HELLO I'M ERIC CORPUZ|WELCOME TO MY PERSONAL BLOG|LIVE YOUR DREAM|SHARE YOUR PASSION

The pain of the beginning.


I’ve been staring for the computer screen here on the bus for awhile now. I think this is definitely the hardest part of blogging—beginning.

This week has been a complete turn around from the past month and easily the best week I’ve had in a really long time.

Monday I started hitting it hard with my audition material for musical dance theater. Putting together the things for this audition has been extremely enjoyable. On Monday, I started working with Julia, one of my friends from GLEEYU who is an MDT major and is also in the Young Ambassadors. She helped me a lot and gave me a lot of feedback on the vocal aspect of the audition. Then later on that day I met up with Ben, another student in the program well-known for his acting, and picked out my monologues for the acting portions. And then—as if that wasn’t enough for one day—I went to a workshop with my vocal coach on acting while singing. Definitely put a spin on my singing. Amanda (the professor who ran the workshop) really tore me up. I have never had someone yell at me while singing. It was extremely helpful, and I feel like I grew a lot from the few pointers she gave me for my audition. Finally when all that was over, I just danced for the rest of the night. What a good way to start the week.


Wednesday we had our first GLEEYU performance at BYU Goes Broadway as the closing number. I can’t explain to you how excited and happy I was the whole day looking forward to it; not to mention I bought this awesome red bowtie the night before and was super excited to wear it haha.


I was really nervous because it was the first time I had ever sang in front of people, but my friends along with the other members of the glee club made it so much better. The club was different that night. There was a different kind of bond and love between each of us and singing that night with them was different than any other occasion we had sung together. Aside of nerves, we had a great performance and had so much fun! We even got interviewed for TV afterwards! The best part for me, aside of being able to sing at the top of my lungs with some of my best friends, was to see all my friends there to support me. Some came too late but just knowing that they were going to come regardless to support me meant so much to me.

GLEEYU Fall 2012





Julia!
Seriously, one of the funniest kids you'll ever meet.


Love them so much!
Explains it all.











Thursday, I thought my good week was going to end when I woke up to the year’s first snow. Now I love snow just as much as the next person, but we were supposed to hold our first blender event that day outside and there was no option of moving it inside.

Your probably wondering what on earth this Blender Event is that I always mention and talk about. 

The Blender Event is a series of events that occur a handful of times each semester. They're different in that they try to reach different students at BYU through the nature of the event. The event is seen as a spontaneous event on campus and is not advertised beforehand on purpose. Advertisement encourages students to come to us and usually reaches the same, small percent that give time to event notice the advertisements anyway. The Blender Event, however, encourages the opposite. It's named the Blender Event based off of the idea of a blender—taking the insides out and outsides in mixing everything together. So, when we hold events, instead of asking students to come to us, we send students out to students and come to them instead.

The committee this year has come up with the theme of Breaking World Records Together giving the blender events all a theme, vision, and purpose.

Our event and goal for that day was to break the world record for the world’s largest cakewalk. We had ordered 15 cakes ahead of time, so there was no turning back on that order. I got texts all morning as it blizzard-ed (stick with me) outside. Regardless, I wasn’t going to let my good week end. Everything was going to be okay, and I knew it. I told everyone to carry on with plans and prepared for the day just as if there was nothing wrong. Sure enough, as soon as I was done getting ready and finished picking up the cakes, the skies cleared for the most part and the snow had melted and dried off the ground of the front of the JFSB quad! Although it wasn’t completely perfect, set-up went well, and the event began well. We were a little discouraged because we needed over 250 people and we only had about 50 to begin with. Once we got started and the excitement was in the air, people started piling in, and right before the last cake was about to be given away, we did it! We broke the world record! The event was successful and I feel like we were able to accomplish the blender goal's focus of reaching out to different students around campus.




Me and Emily, my executive director.
Dancing later on that night in our awesome black socks
with two of my best friends that I grew up with -
Elina and Marinne!
All of the BYUSA kids excited to leave!
And finally, Friday was the start to a great weekend. I’ve been home all weekend, soaking up the warmth with my best friends and family. We came down with two huge buses on Friday to volunteer for the Romney campaign for free! It was so much fun to be with everyone and be able to work right by my home in Summerlin. I even learned how to drive a 16-seater-van! Parking was the worst part. I was able to see all the people I worked with this past summer at voter registration and even get some free stuff. Saturday night I was able to go out with my family to dinner at Claim Jumper and spent the rest of the night singing with Jason.

Now we’re on our way home on the bus (which is taking forever) and I'm ready to get back to Provo and buckle down for school.
Got to vote in Tagalog!
Driving the 16-seater!
So what?
As I was starting the blog, I realized that the difficulty I had starting the blog was directly related to the difficulties I've been having all month. The pain of beginning and beginning again. This whole month has not been the most enjoyable month for me because I wasn't making the best decisions I could have been nor putting myself in the right situations I should have been in. I got so used to being lost in the clouds and letting my burdens build on my back. I had the mindset that somehow, someway, life would slow down or get easier, when in reality, all life every does is speed up. I was afraid to take a step forward. I was afraid to change.

Now what?
I told myself at the beginning of the week that I was going to forget everything that happened this month and just begin again. Begin again and begin as the best person I could be and see where I would end up a week later. From the moment I made that decision until now, life has been the best it has been in a really long time. And it's not because it slowed down. It's not because things got easier. It's because I took a step in the direction I needed to be going in the whole time. It's so easy to get caught in your problems lose hope. Everyday we go through things that put us up against the wall and force us back to the beginning. Yet the remarkable thing is, to those who give up giving up and learn to begin again after they fall, things always seem to fit back into place.


Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment