image1 image2 image3

HELLO I'M ERIC CORPUZ|WELCOME TO MY PERSONAL BLOG|LIVE YOUR DREAM|SHARE YOUR PASSION

Prepare continually.

I'm tired.

It's been a few years since I've experienced the semi-annual event of daylight savings and I am feeling the lag. I can't believe it's nearly Thanksgiving and... MY BEST FRIENDS AARON AND SPENCER COME HOME FROM THEIR MISSIONS THIS WEEK!
Elder Tingey second from the left! Can't wait to see him!
Driving back to Provo from Vegas freshman year.
Suffering through calculus wearing our opposite-colored outfits.

Elder Simon!
First time hiking the Y freshman year.

Can't explain how excited I am to see them both! Maybe I'll drive home next weekend.

Anyway.

This week wasn't a bad week but at the same time it wasn't a stellar week. It was just a week. It just... was. Does that make sense?

Tuesday we had our Symphonic Band Concert, Music in Motion. Somehow, someway, I seemed to have forgotten that I had a band concert this week until the day of, so I wasn't really able to invite anyone which was a bit depressing. My few good friends had tests and everyone else just had better things to do. Kirt took my complimentary tickets and my friend Lauren from BYUSA was able to make it as well which was nice. The concert overall went well and I got to introduce the first two pieces which was a first time experience for me. Afterwards, I spent the rest of my night with Elina and Marinne suffering on the dance floor struggling to get this MDT audition up to par. I was extremely sore for the next few days after.
BYU Symphonic Band Clarinet Section Fall 2012
Most frustrating day by far.
Wednesday was Halloween. I had looked forward to Halloween for so long while I was a missionary and missed the holiday a lot in the Philippines. Regardless, this Halloween I didn't do anything special. We did have another low-key blender event and passed out candy around campus but nothing too crazy. Later, I got to catch up with my good friend Ryan from freshman year and then put on my hanous free orange shirt that GLEEYU got for free from BYU Goes Broadway, went to the gym, and then attempted to dance for the rest of the night. That was it. Happy Halloween.
Sister J let us have a small Filipino dinner for class that day.
My Halloween.
On the contrast to a boring week, my weekend was really fun!

On Friday I went on a semi-blind date with a girl named Heidi who is on the BYU Contemporary Dance Theatre Team, but she's more than that title. Heidi is a sweetheart, and I had a great time with her that night. Even though she had to work in the anatomy lab until 9pm that night, she still made time for our simple date. We went to this place called The Chocolate, which is a small dessert cafe that is a really neat social place. We spent the night doing first-date-usuals and got to know each other a little better. I don't want to go super into detail on dates on the internet so forgive me. 



Saturday was a bit hectic and a little lonely. It mostly consisted of taking care of things for my calling, cleaning, rehearsal, and studying. After all that was over, I decided that I needed to just take a break from everything and make time to go to the temple. I hadn't been since I've been home from my mission which is extremely sad. I realized how much I regretted waiting that long yesterday. Getting to attend a session yesterday was amazing and extremely rejuvenating. It was the pick-me-up I've needed for a really long time.
While I was there, I ran into Chase who I've been trying to catch up with for a really long time. So we made a pact to hangout that night, and it was a really good decision. After I came home and ate, I met up with another good friend, Addison, and caught up for a bit and talked about how we were both going to endure through the accounting program someday here at BYU. Afterwards, I met up with Chase at this party at the Isles. Best decision of the week. The party was so much fun! It was so great to meet a bunch of new people and just have fun and dance for the night. I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the Isles and am really thinking about moving there next semester. It's all brand new, extremely social, and is all one ward. It's also right next to the RB which is where I basically live nowadays anyway haha. We'll see, I do love the ward I'm in now too--at least have grown to love it.

Today was a busy Sunday too. I spent the day home teaching with Matt and cooking all of my food for the whole week with Mike. We easily cooked over 20 lbs. of food--no exaggeration. It was a good move though. Everything is pretty much prepared for the whole week so cooking fresh meals will be extremely quick. Tonight we had a CES fireside that I watched with my wingman, Matt, and it was also donut night since it was first Sunday of the month. Definitely something I've been looking forward to for a long time. Their donuts are unexplainably delicious.
And that was my week. Sorry for the lack of excitement.

So what?
I found myself this week jumping from rock to rock on one leg. With all the things going on--whether it be academics, BYU/SA, GLEEYU, work, or anything else--everything just seemed so out of control. I was living from big event to big event, thinking that life was going to slow down after this performance or this test. I was forgetting about things I needed to do in general over-time and was just preparing for what could possibly the next biggest tragedy in my life; i.e. tests, papers, etc. Not a smart decision. Living until the next hurdle is over only brings you to a realization that the hurdles aren't going to stop coming. In fact, they'll probably come closer and faster than the previous.

Now what?
Life can't be lived like that. You can't just focus on the next, closest thing that will happen and abandon all others until they become close to being important too. Life isn't made to work that day. There needs to be structure. I'm going to do my best this week and forever to not let this idea affect me and work on not just focusing on what's next but what is coming as well. You need to be consistently and continually preparing for possible disasters that could happen. If not, you'll just be running frantically for the rest of your life from one disaster to the next with no direction.

Keep the future. Adjust  to the present. Use the past. It's all in your hands.



Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment