image1 image2 image3

HELLO I'M ERIC CORPUZ|WELCOME TO MY PERSONAL BLOG|LIVE YOUR DREAM|SHARE YOUR PASSION

This is really the end.

This is going to be a MONSTER blog, not that my other ones aren't huge to begin with anyway.


I couldn't even begin to begin to speak of how great this weekend was for being the last weekend of a great semester and great year for that matter. 

Saturday began early with a 7am calculus exam. As much as I was dreading getting up that early, I was actually very happy that it was that early so I could get it out of the way and still have the whole day ahead of me. The exam actually went really well! I was pretty terrified of what the heck they would put on it but I'd say there were only a couple questions that I was unsure of. Glad that's over with though.

I spent the rest of the day cleaning out excess garbage in my room and cleaning stuff since Jordan was coming to stay the night. Then I had to take care of all the stuff for the bishopric's gift that needed to be ready by the next day. I was pretty much busy all the way up until our date that night, but it was a good thing. I've been so anxious and excited for this date to happen that I couldn't wait any longer!

I don't remember if I explained how this date would work so I'll go over it again. Watching A Walk to Remember this past week gave us the idea to let the girls kind of plan out this date. We let them make up a list of things they wanted to do before the semester ended and here's what they came up with:
  • Visit a nursery
  • Walk a dog
  • Paint
  • Feed the homeless
  • Ride a motorcycle
  • Visit an aquarium
  • Shoot a gun
  • Burn something (preferably old homework/notes)
  • Roll down a big hill
  • Break a social norm
  • Watch a funny youtube video
  • Make someone smile
Needless to say there was no way we could get to all those things in one night so we had to pick and choose what we'd include to plan this date. So here's how it all went down.

Everyone was running late somehow including me so we didn't get to leaving until around 5:00pm, an hour later than we had hoped so we had to sacrifice a few more things to make everything work. Jordan took one of my very best friends, Taylor, and I was lucky enough to go with Taryn. We left and made our way to Sandy for the first part of the date: Salt Lake City's aquarium.

I'd say I can definitely enjoy seeing some pretty cool fish but as far as slimy reptiles and amphibians go, I could definitely do well enough without seeing those... things. It was a great time, it wasn't exactly sea world but it was still really awesome. We got to touch sting rays and see penguins, sharks, octopi, and lots and lots of fish!


The next one was kind of fun to watch the girls try and guess what we were doing. We stopped at a Carl's Jr. and told them that we were driving through and having dinner... expect I was ordering all the meals. I wish you could've seen the looks on their faces. So I ordered four number ones and of course made it completely complicated for them. Then we stopped at the four way stop at Gateway mall. They had no idea what was going on until we finally told them. Jordan told Taylor to take a look at the four way stop and spot the man begging for money or food: we were going to feed the homeless. There weren't many more people we could find there so we drove to a park and found more there. There was one guy that me and Taryn found that really hit me hard. Taryn asked him if he was hungry and he said yes so we gave him the meal and when she proceeded to wish him a good night he replied:
I was planning on it, I always do. Tonight will be better because it won't be cold.
The things we take for granted today. How good we all have it. If we could I'm sure we would've fed the whole homeless society in SLC but time called for the next part of the date.


We drove to a really high place, State Capital hill to be exact and perched out on the grass and looked towards the sunset. Busting out the supplies the girls finally put two and two together: we were going to paint the sunset. It was a lot of fun and both of the paintings came out really well! Taryn absolutely cracked me up with her artistic skills haha. By the end we all had messy fingers but great paintings. By now it was getting late and we were all hungry so it was time for dinner.

Slightly embarrassing but Jordan and I got lost finding where we were going. Eventually we made it like ten minutes before ten right before they were about to close, but they let us and and welcomed us nonetheless. We ate at Tepanyaki, Jordan's favorite restaurant, er well, for the night anyway. It is one of those Japanese show dinners where they cook your food right in front of you. For the first time being to that restaurant I actually caught the shrimp in my mouth! I was definitely not blessed with that talent of catching food in my mouth so it was way awesome to actually get it right for once! Dinner itself was really great and I got to share a lot with Taryn as did she with me. Of course I talked so much that by the time everyone was done eating I had barely touched my food, so I just boxed it for my roommate because we had a last item to take care of for the date.



We drove up to Nun's Park in the canyon to set up a fire and burn some old homework and what not. I had a series of videos lined up to show Taryn, Scarlet Takes a Tumble being my absolute favorite. Then I had something to show Taylor but we ended up getting kicked out of the park before we could get to the end of it and even let Jordan play his guitar. It was late anyway and I already felt bad because Taryn really needed to prepare a lesson for church. So we took the girls home, gave them and signed our paintings, and then all went off to bed.

Of course, if you put me and Jordan in a given environment that facilities talking, we will talk... for a very long time haha. I love it though, mostly because he talks just as much as I do. Its good to have someone around to catch up with especially when they understand and care. We stayed up until probably 4am and had to wake up like three hours later for 9am church but it was definitely worth it.

Church on Sunday was really, really sad. It was the last time our ward would ever all be together. For me, it was even worse then graduating. The level that all of us are friends here is just so much greater than any high school friend I've had, with the exception of a handful of course. The talks were great. Brigham gave a great, heartfelt talk, and Jessie of course made us all laugh, cry and want to be better people. It is always great to hear from this Bishop too. He's the greatest. You just can't help but feel good about yourself and feel the sincere love whenever he's around. He gave us some great scriptures to go off with and bore a great testimony.

Brother Moir taught Sunday school that of which Jordan absolutely owned. I use my convert card as an excuse for ignorance but it certainly shouldn't be that way. I, along with many other students in the class, was really impressed with Jordan's knowledge of the Old Testament and it really made me want to do better in scripture study and take more religion classes here at BYU. Other than that, it was extremely obvious that every girl in that class wanted Jordan's bod haha.

Priesthood was slightly depressing since it would be the last time that all of us would be in the same place for the last time. Brother Jaussi was really dramatic and talked about how the quorum would "cease to exist" as of midnight on Wednesday. It's insane. It was really great though to be able to to hear from everyone who taught and sit next to the Bishop even though half the time Jordan and I just messed around eating our lunchables. They're a great group though and I'll miss the hall so, so much.

Afterwards I had to make sure that everyone came to sign the Bishopric's present that I volunteered to take care of. And then Jordan helped me put the frames and everything together since they were a pain the butt. Then Peter and I hometaught Felicia & Lisa [again] for the last time. They are really great, strong girls and I hope for the best for them in the future. They've been such an example to me, probably more than I was for them. I'll miss them and continue to do all I can to help them.

After Jordan left, I had dinner with Aaron which was great. It's been been awesome to have him around since we're both kind of in the same boat being converts at BYU. It was nice to catch up and see all the things he's got going for himself right now. I'm really excited for him to be able to go on a mission and can't wait to hear where he ends up going. It's been kind of rough for both of us here at BYU not growing up as members of the church, but I don't think we would have it any other way.

Getting back to the dorms and seeing all the girls I realized that it was our final visiting hours for the semester. Elise came over to help me figure out harmonies for Bri and my talent at ward prayer that the night. It's so great to be with Elise because she's always so genuine and caring about everything--plus she has such an extremely amazing voice. After we figured all that stuff out, I headed into the hall to see who was partying it up. Alyssa had Matt Moses' crutches so I snagged them from her and went for a whirl around Helaman only to realize that I never, ever want to have to use crutches in my life. I decided that they could be put to better use by jacking them up and pole vaulting in the halls... so I did haha. Alyssa, Megan, and Kristen sure got a kick out of it.



Alas, it was time for our last ward wrap up finale. It went really great with all the spokespersons from each hall, the talents, and the advice from all the leaders. Bishop Kiriyama's prayer that night really meant a lot to me hearing from him for the last time. He really touched my life this year and to hear all the things that he prayed for for us, knowing how much he loves us, was just the most amazing thing ever. I would go into further detail but I have a video that I think sums it all a lot better. It was weird actually saying goodbye to the ward for the last time knowing that we'd never be a ward ever again. It was worth it though. This was harder than anything, even graduation since our friends are just on a completely different level up here. We made lasting friendships here at BYU that will survive the coming decades and influenced each other all for the better. I hope that we all do keep in touch and that things work out for all of us. I'll miss them all more than anything else this year, but I guess all good things must come to an end.


I guess this is really it. This is really the end

Share this:

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

  1. Such a fun weekend man! A "date" to remember, I must say! Even though we never watched A Walk to Remember. What were we thinking? That's what should have went on the invitation! A DATE to Remember. Lol, but thanks again for having me down. Vegas will be EPIC!!

    ReplyDelete